Sunday, April 11, 2010

Teachers Make a Difference!

Know a TEACHER WHO HAS MADE A DIFFERENCE IN THE LIFE OF YOUR CHILD??? Your child can write an essay and win a trip to Disney! Trip for teacher +3 people AND a second trip for your child +3 people! Visit the link below for details!!

http://downtowndisneyhotels.com/TeacherPromo/?ban=2010Facebook_Teacher_Essay

When I saw this contest, several teachers immediately came to mind for me. These were individuals who went above and beyond to make learning fun for my kids.

Then, my mind started wandering to my own childhood. Unfortunately, there are a couple who I don't even recall their names and others who squashed my enthusiasm each day. Contrarily, there are a few teachers who I credit with igniting a passion in me.

Mr. Scott Palmer at Concord Christian School in Concord, NH is one of them. Mr. Palmer was my 7th and 8th grade English teacher. He taught me the power of the written word, and helped me to put my heart onto paper. He encouraged me and showed me how to paint a picture with the stroke of a pen. Most of all, he believed in me and made me feel valued and important. A couple years ago, I tracked Mr. Palmer down via the internet and I took the chance to thank him. He is now a Principal, and I'm so happy for him. I only hope the children in his school know how blessed they are.

Miss Bonnie Noyes was my 4th Grade teacher at Conant Elementary School in Concord, NH. I think they broke the mold when they made Miss Noyes. I've never met anyone else quite like her. Her smile lit up the room, and she loved her job. Miss Noyes didn't have children of her own, so her students were her kids. She was passionate about teaching and about making learning fun. Looking back on my other years in school, I couldn't tell you which year I studied what. Fourth Grade was different. I learned about hawks and owls, deciduous and coniferous trees (including getting maple syrup from a tree) and haiku writing. I starred in a play, searched for owls while snowshoeing and studied Robert Frost. I felt valued and I learned to love learning. So far, I have been unable to locate Miss Noyes...but I can still see her smiling face.

One of my greatest desires is for my children to have a Miss Noyes and a Mr. Palmer in their lives. Someone who ignites a flame for them and teaches them that they are only limited by the bounds of their own imaginations. If your children have been blessed with a teacher like this, be sure to nominate them today!

No comments: