Thursday, September 11, 2008

What's his face...

So I joined Face-book back in April sometime as a way of looking at my brother Scott's photos of Europe. I get on every now and then and check out the updates that people post. A few days ago, it was like a can-of-worms was opened! I reconnected with several people from my old boarding school in Florida. I had left that place after my sophomore year, and simultaneously left all of the friends and bad memories behind. You can imagine my surprise this morning when, 20 years later, I heard from an old classmate of mine. Seems he's changed his name (goes by his middle name now) and is retired from the USMC. He was heavily involved in the aftermath of 9/11. It was surreal to catchup with him...he's a Daddy now, living in Chicago and seems successful. I also caught up with a good friend of mine who I also hadn't heard from since 1988. Things don't seem to be going as well for her...and that hurts my heart as she was always such a sweetheart. I found myself feeling grateful for my husband, my children, my life. I've been blessed with so many good friends through the years. It's a testament, I suppose...that they all remember me too...20 years later. Guess I left an impression LOL.

Time is a funny thing, isn't it?! Seems like yesterday...and yet seems like a lifetime ago that I was in the living room of our first home on the Cape. Shawn was 14 months old, and Malia and Kassia were just dreams somewhere in my mind. I turned on the TV for Shawn to watch Elmo, and breaking news of the terror attacks came on. Jared was in Kindergarten and Sierra was in 4th grade at the school next door. Steve was working. I called him on his cell phone and told him about a plane hitting the first tower. Then, as we were talking, the 2nd plane hit...then the Pentagon...then Pennsylvania. It was all in slow motion...we were on the phone...scared, in shock...not knowing what to do...what was going on. SO much changed that day, 7 years ago.

Kassia has a friend over...again. Nick has been here most of the day...again. They are demanding attention, so I will close with thoughts and prayers of the victims of 9/11. We will never forget.

No comments: