Monday, May 17, 2010

Sports Essays

My boys were selected to participate in the SBLI Kids Football Clinic with Tedy Bruschi on June 24th at Gillette Stadium! They are both SO pumped...and so am I!!! They'll get to receive a limited edition, autographed Bruschi poster and spend 3 hours learning from our families favorite legendary linebacker at the site of his greatest accomplishments. Ever since Shawn was 4, he has LOVED Tedy Bruschi. The fact that he gets to spend this time with his football hero is incredibly cool. They both had to write 300 word essays to be presented to Tedy. The topic were, "What is your game plan for academic and athletic excellence" or "What have you learned about teamwork and good sportsmanship by playing sports?"

I'm so proud of BOTH of them for what they wrote. Here is Jared's (14 years old and in 8th grade):

"My personal game plan for academic and athletic excellence is to always work hard and strive to be my best. I’ve been on the Honor Roll for 7 consecutive terms. I started playing sports at the age of 4 years old for the Falmouth Recreation Department and since then I have played sports 3 seasons a year for school teams, travel teams and for the Falmouth Recreation Department. As a 4 year old I didn’t know anything about sports but to listen to coach. I didn’t know the meaning of sportsmanship or being a leader all I knew was to do what I was asked. Now 10 years later I know what it’s like be a leader and what being a teammate is all about. It’s about always playing fair, never being cocky or a sore sport, always doing your best and living up to your potential. When you lose, you move on and make adjustments to your game to be better next time. I wouldn’t be the athlete I am today without the mentors I’ve had throughout my life. To start off I wouldn’t have learned the meaning of being on a team, being a leader and helping my team win without my Step-Dad Steve. He has coached me for about 10 years and has not only taught me everything I know about being a teammate; he’s made me the great sports player I am today. Of course he isn’t the only one who has taught me to be the athlete and teammate I am today, but he’s a huge part of it. The main thing I’ve learned about sports is my teammates are family. We always stick together as if were brothers not only fighting for first place but fighting to be called a great team."

Here is Shawn's:

"Hi, my name is Shawn and I love sports. I’m 9 years old and in the 3rd Grade. I’ve played sports my whole life. My favorite sports are soccer, basketball, baseball and football. What I like most about sports is you get to meet new friends and you get to have fun. Sports have given me the confidence to stand up for what’s right. One day on the bus ride home I saw this kid getting bullied, so I went back and helped him. I told the people who were bullying him to, “stop picking on him, he’s only in Kindergarten and you are in 4th Grade.” They said, “OK, fine” and stopped. It felt good to help someone. No matter how much you win or lose by, you still say “Good game”. Don’t say anything mean to the other team because that’s bad sportsmanship. Trying hard is important, in school and sports. I try my best in school by listening to the teacher. In sports I try my best by paying attention to the coach. I also know a lot about teamwork. For example, in soccer, if the goalie lets a goal in, it’s the whole teams fault not just his. This is because it’s a team sport and the whole team had the chance to stop the ball from ever getting near the goal. When you’re on a team, you all work together. I love watching sports too because I can learn a lot. My favorite team to watch is the Patriots and Tedy Bruschi was always my favorite. I love how he was always a team player and was a wicked good linebacker. I plan to keep working on my skills in all the sports I play and to always do my best in school too."

I'm REALLY looking forward to this exciting day with my 3 guys :)

No comments: